TWENTY-THREE

Ruby Beach part 2

Here are some more pictures of Ruby Beach, WA.  As per request, I put shooting information in the caption of the photos and how they were processed. These were from the second night I was at this beach and I had a pretty good idea of the picture I wanted to make, but didn't know if I knew how to pull it off technically. I was pretty happy with what I got, it looks just like I wanted it to within the limitations of my equipment, with the most notable limitation being my ultra-wide lens doesn't seem to be tack sharp - ever. It is an off brand, but I expected it to be better at its reported sweetspot. Maybe I have a bad copy. I should send it in and have it looked at.

Ruby Beach-249
Ruby Beach Sunset - Canon Rebel T1. Tamron 10-24mm lens.  17mm  f/11 2.5 second exposure. Circular polarizer. 2 stop hard grad filter. Raw conversion with IPhoto and cropped to 8x10 ratio.

This picture rocks for me for a number of reasons. First - its cool. Second - it is what I tried to do. I planned it before hand and set up my camera knowing that the sun would be sinking behind the fall rock so I could get a good sunstar. I set up the composition so that I had good foreground and background interest and did so knowing I was going to crop to 8x10 and this was all without running it through photoshop. I still have the RAW file and when I print this out large format, I will prepare it using photoshop (I assume - I know nothing about printing), but for internet all I did was load it into IPhoto, crop it, and export it to Flikr using the little button on the bottom of IPhotos screen.

The picture below is from a spot I passed up on for the sunset. The day before I had picked out after the first day, but realized that tides don't happen at the same time, so changed my mind because I thought I might get washed out. I ran over after the sun set while there was still some light. I like it, but wished there was just a tad more illumination. I think that it kinda looks like mountains sticking up through the clouds.

Rocks in clouds? Canon Rebel Tamron 10-24 lens -17mm.  ISO 100. f/16. 15 second exposure. 2 stop hard grad. 
These long exposures turn out really cool, and I am looking forward to some time off to generate some more material.

And yes, I do have a rock star wife who lets me wander occasionally, but she likes having a sane husband so it all works out.

chris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CPAC Soccer Game

Choosing where to live.

EIGHT