Death Valley

Death Valley

I spent 3 days camping in Death Valley National Park. I went there hoping to have a great photography trip, but the wind was relentless and my 4"x5" large format camera demands that the air is moving somewhat less than a constant 25 to 30 mph. It was still fantastic. The weather, other than the wind, was ideal. Mostly sunny skies and temperatures in the high 80's. Since I was in a small passenger car, I couldn't go to most of the park, but with only 3 days to explore that wasn't a problem. I was surprised to find a golf course and pool in one of the most inhospitable places on earth. The first two pictures below are the ones I got when I was using my digital camera as a light meter for my big camera. I have since purchased a used 1 degree spot meter and also finally broke down and got myself an iPhone, so I think I am ready to cut the DSLR loose. I used to worry about the fact that I couldn't get zooms unless I had a SLR, but I finally figured out I don't care. I had a gorgeous 300mm Canon L series lens that I rarely used and a 75-300mm USM IS that sat in my camera bag 99% of the time, while my 10-24 and 18-55 were used all the time. So I have finally assembled a film camera kit I am super excited about.

I decided to have some fun with these pictures. The look OK from the camera, but I actually think that the subject matter lends itself to a little "old timey-ness". I used an app for the iPhone called Snapseed from Nik, the makers of Color EFEX and SilverEFEX.

Mesquite Dunes at Sunrise

Zabrinski Point Sunrise
Sunrise from just above Zabrinski's Point in Death Valley National Park.

I don't have a ton of pictures to post from my trip so far. Mostly I've been trying to shoot exclusively with film during this trip. I just got 3 rolls of Velvia 50 and one roll of TMAX 400 black and white. Neither of these have been scanned or printed. They look pretty good on the light table, but it will be a while before they are scanned and put up. With the price of scanning and the poor quality you get unless you pay through the nose ($8-10 per photo on 35mm film or $30-55 for 4x5) I have decided to find a used drum scanner or at least the highest end flat bed scanner capable of doing wet mounted scans. That will be a few months from now unless I find something really good to sell/trade on craigslist.

I did get a couple rolls of cheap C-41 pseudo B&W film developed at Walgreens from my trip. The rolls were expired and I got them for free from my friend The Dentist. I used them to test out a couple thrift store cameras I picked up in Carson City. 

20 Mule Train Harmony Borax Works
Twenty Mule Train. Harmony Borax Works, Death Valley National Park. This is actually looking at the back of the train. The tank would hold water for the 20 mules and 3 drivers for the trip to the West Coast. I don't remember exactly, but I think each cart would weigh 70 or 80 tons filled with ore.
Harmony Borax Works Death Valley
Ruins. Harmony Borax Works. Death Valley National Park.


Wagon Wheel - Death Valley
Wheels of Time. Harmony Borax Works. Death Valley National Park




Badwater Basin
Bad Water Basin. The geometric designs are salt formations. This is the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere not covered in water.

Convict Lake, CA
Convict Lake, California. Ice was just coming off this lake near Yosemite National Park. This was one of the few that turned out from this particular camera because I was centering the filter (hand held by me) on the rangefinder window and not the lens, so most of the pictures have my fat thumb in the frame, but I figured it out near the end and this is one that turned out ok.


Comments

  1. These are lovely! I especially like the one of the bad water basin!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CPAC Soccer Game

Choosing where to live.

EIGHT