Point Reyes National Seashore




I recently had an extended weekend (8 days off in a row) that I had hoped to spend in Zion National Park, but when it came time to go, I just didn't feel like it. I ended up spending most of my days off at home doing a whole lot of nothing. I did meander over to Point Reyes National Seashore for a couple of days. I left Thursday afternoon and came home Sunday night, sleeping in my truck each night. It rained almost the entire time, which was fine, but it was also extremely windy. It was a great learning experience and resulted in some fine images. The intent was to focus on monochrome film, which works perfectly for moody skies and dramatic landscapes. 

Also exciting, for me at least, is that I have started developing my own black and white film. It was an initial investment of about $100, but now I can process my own film for about $1.50 per roll. It's not so much the money savings, but the closest processing for monochrome film is in Sacramento or Marin, CA. 

All of the pictures in this post were taken using an Mamiya RB67 ProSD medium format camera and a Mamiya-Sekor 90mm lens. The camera is about 35 years old and is completely mechanical. It doesn't even take a battery! The film I used was Ilford HP5 and I shot at the indicated speed, It was then developed in Kodak D76 developer diluted 1 to 1 with water. 

Keep Off the Hazardous Cliffs. This little fence keeps the cows and tourist from falling off the edge and into the ocean. 

Point Reyes and Surf. The trail visible in the picture leads from the white ranger station out to the very edge of the point where one can sit on a bench listening to the wind, waves, and shore birds. I didn't talk to a human all day. There was a little herd of black tail deer that kept me company. I sat here, in the rain,  for a few hours meditating and waiting for the light to get just right. It was glorious.

Point Reyes Lifeboat Station. I had to perch on a deer trail to get this shot. There is a very interesting history to this building and the people who built it. I really don't feel like telling it right now.

Tree Line at Point Reyes Northern District Headquarters. When I saw these trees, I couldn't help myself. 

Leaving Neverland. I spent quite a while at this spot under my little umbrella trying to keep my camera dry. I poured for 45 minutes, then the clouds broke apart a little.

Comments

  1. Beautiful pictures the 2nd from the bottom with the trees over the road is very cool! Someday maybe you can tell me the interesting history behind the boat house and docks photo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CPAC Soccer Game

Choosing where to live.

EIGHT