Nikon F100 with Ilford PanF 50

Some more analog photography, this time from a Nikon F100 that I've had around the house for a couple of years. I picked this camera up sans lens for less than a C-note and bought a crappy kit lens for $20 bucks at the local camera store. I purchased some nice manual focus lenses after I developed this roll of film and I am awaiting the results. 

You know, that is part of the magic (horror) of film - the waiting. Did I just spend $32 on film, processing, and scanning on 36 pictures of my lens cover? You have to wait to find out. Of course that is only if you shoot E-6 or BW film. C-41 film you drop off at Costco, and for $3.99 you have professional results in about an hour. My understanding from the blogosphere is that Costco has the most consistent film developing outside of a professional lab, period

This roll was developed at my local camera shop and they did a horrible job. My negatives are scratched I think they underdeveloped the roll. (The null hypothesis is that I underexposed the roll, but I definitely didn't scratch the film)

Standards
Standards
If I were Ansel Adams, I would probably have done some dodging and burning on this, but instead you get the picture just as it came from the scan.

After Logging
After the Logging.
This was taken in mountains above Missoula in a area that has recently been logged. The timber companies leave trees to prevent erosion.  I went up here one day to unwind and was lying on a pile of piny wood chips listening to the wind and thinking how beautiful the world can be, and  then I remembered "I have my camera!"
Harper Bridge
Harper Bridge.
I have another image posted earlier of this same shot, but with a digital camera and lots of creative post processing. Shots like these are much harder to capture with a the shorter dynamic range of the film I like. I also changed  the color balance to remove the normal browns of old, poorly treated PanF because it didn't really fit this photo.  Also, this is a good fishing spot.
All and all, the shots from this roll were pretty good. I had a few more good ones and some really bad ones, but I learned something from the bad ones, the sky is dull when there isn't any clouds floating around, even at sunset. It should make my next roll even better. I have one more roll of PanF, then a couple rolls of TriX to try out. Oh and there is a roll of Velvia setting on my dresser and a roll of Kodak Ektar 100 to try. Plus I still have a roll of half shot new film in my Olympus Epic and will soon have a little Olympus 35RC rangefinder to tryout some film in. AND In two weeks, I have the time to play around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CPAC Soccer Game

Choosing where to live.

EIGHT