Three

Photography travel can be frustrating. I've made two dedicated photography trips so far. Both of them were within driving distance from where we live. The first was to Glacier in the fall. It was a steady drizzle with overcast sky the whole trip. Not interestingly cloudy. Just a dull grey blanket that was coupled with 50 mph winds two of the three days. I had a lot of ideas about shots I wanted, (ie. mountain/lake refection shots, sunrise alpenglow, fall colors, maybe a grizzly or two), but those all went out the window. Lakes aren't that interesting when they have a chop, sunrises in the rain haven't really inspired anyone in the art world for the last few thousand years. I didn't know what to do and I didn't get many shots I because I had these preconceived notions of what my photos should be. I hadn't left room for creativity or spontaneity. I don't really have enough experience to be creative or spontaneous, anyway. I just went to the iconic locations and tried to make do. The few decent shots I did get were when I was on my way out of the park. The banner for this blog is one I did after driving on US 2. The one below I don't remember the circumstance, but I do remember that I was walking slowly with my head down to keep the rain out of my hood and I saw this little vignette. Moral of the story (which we have all heard a million times) is don't forget to turn around, or in this case, look down.

 
Pine Needles on Flathead River Rock

With that trip in my recent memory, I went to the Tetons to get some fall color.  I also wanted to get the classic iconic shots that 150 million people have already took. (I haven't taken them, so it is new to me). The weather was the opposite of my Glacier trip, and in some ways, worse.  Not a single cloud for 3 straight days. To make matters worse, small forrest fires were burning here and there creating a dull gray haze in the air. I tried the iconic shots at "oxbow bend" and "the landing" the first two mornings, and while I got some nice pictures, they are boring. No snow on the mountains, no color in the sky. The alpine glow is flat. Couple that with the dozens of other photographers crowding around, I was starting to feel less enthusiastic about my new hobby. (Don't misunderstand, I don't mind people in general but I was really put off by the constant megapixel/lens/gear oneupmanship and definite disdain for my little Rebel) 

So the third morning I decided to do something different. I went to a group of aspens I remembered seeing the day before. I thought they might be nicely lit by the morning sun and I could avoid the crowds at the other sites (wow, lots of people want the iconic shots besides me!). The result is below. Is it great? I don't know. But it is a lot more interesting than the other shots I tried to force. And when I look at it now, I brings back that morning. Utter stillness. Chilly air from the mountain night, but a quick warmth soaking into my back from the sun just starting its climb into the sky. A tinge of woodsmoke mingled with smell of dry grass and leaves. And that brilliant explosion of orange and yellow as the trees emerged from morning shadow into full golden sunlight.  I've never experienced anything like it, before or since. 


Golden Birch and Mt. Moran


What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CPAC Soccer Game

Choosing where to live.

EIGHT