TWENTY-ONE


I took a trip down the Bitterroot looking for old barns. Barnwood is loved by photographers because of its pleasing tones and its ability to look great in any conversion. I especially like the way it turns out in HDR treatments.

The seed-heads of the grass take on a glow when photographed in diffuse but strong light and that effect is enhanced from the HDR process. The sky looks menacing and the truth is that it has been raining for months. As sick of it as I am, I count my blessings that I am not one of the unfortunate families forced out by the floods in Missoula. 


Bitterroot Barn

With all that rain has come the most incredible spring wildflowers since we've been here. I've got a few photos of the flowers before, but I took some more thinking about Michael Orton. MO developed a technique of photography using slide film. He would take two photographs, both overexposed but one would be sharp and the other would be intentionally out of focus. He would then combine the two slides to produce one picture that would have correct exposure (combining slides is additive) with rich tones and a dreamy quality. Photoshop has a setting that replicates what stacking two slides would do called "multiply". The following pictures are each a combination of two photos "stacked" to produce a digital version of an Orton technique. 


Explosion
I love the way the flowers just keep going off into the horizon in the upper left hand corner.

Balsam Paintbrush Lupine-2

Rambling Balsam



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CPAC Soccer Game

Choosing where to live.

EIGHT