TWENTY-TWO

Ruby Beach, WA 

Some more photos from my trip back in May. I spent two nights in Olympic National Park along the coast. I hadn't planned on going that far North along the coast, but I got rained out of the Gorge and I just didn't fall in love with Cannon Beach like I thought I was going to. Since I didn't know where I was going, and I don't have a tourist guide for the Olympic Peninsula, and none of the ranger stations or campgrounds were "open", AND the entire area seemed like it was deserted, I was pretty much flying blind on where to get good photos.  I was basically driving down HWY 101 pulling over every few miles and walking out to the beach to see if there was anything cool going on. It was actually pretty relaxing and the weather was finally nice (cool but sunny).  

I was intrigued by a roadside sign that read "Large Cedar Tree - 1 Mile" I thought, "Wow, that must be some tree if they have a sign out by the road. I better go check that out" Sadly, after driving down the muddy bumpy road that just about shook my all terrain Corolla apart, I found that the sign was not understated at all. It was indeed a large cedar tree, in a forest of large cedar trees, exactly like the large cedar trees right next to the highway.

As I went further North, I stopped at a day use area for Ruby Beach. It was about dinner time and the hike down to the beach was a few hundred yards, so I decided to make some dinner before I went down. As I was boiling my pasta and sauteing my veggies, a couple cars full of photographers showed up and started unloading. I figured I must be at a good spot, so after dinner I packed by camera bag and tripod and headed down to the beach.  The other photogs, as it turns out, were a bunch of buddies from Colorado on a photo tour of the Pacific Northwest. Nice guys. The West is filled with nice people. 

Here are the shots from the first day at Ruby Beach.

IMG_5436
Taken from a fallen log that spanned the river. The water was about 5 feet deep and I didn't have waterproof gear.
Ruby Beach-275
Used long exposure to give a smooth look to the water. Waves were actually coming in over the rocks and splashing.
Ruby Beach-271
Same basic setup as previous shot, but about ten minutes later.


Comments

  1. You do realize what an all-star wife you have to let you wander through the Pacific Northwest, don't you?

    The colors are great. How about posting your settings with some of these photos?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CPAC Soccer Game

Choosing where to live.

EIGHT