ELEVEN

I took the kids out hiking a little today. It was windy and cold enough for down jackets, but the sky was looking good and I have been looking for some areas to try grunge photography. What is grunge photography? Well, some examples below should give you an idea, but I haven't run across anything that gives a learned definition. Basically, think abandoned and run down. Then take photos that use an expanded dynamic range, and then.... I ran out of rules. Is it commercial? I don't know, but when a close my eyes to compose a shot, it looks like this in my head. I've found a way to get it out of my head and in front of your eyes. 

This is more like art to me. This is making a photo as opposed to capturing a photo. Capturing a photo is being in the right place at the right time; which, by the way, is what I spend a lot of my time trying to accomplish. Get up before dawn, drive to someplace that will show off the golden hour while hoping I have the right equipment and that Mother Nature cooperates. Making a photo is having something in your head, then going out and finding out how to use the equipment you have and the skills you've learned to make it a reality. These pictures are what that is all about. 


Abandoned Tractor
Abandoned Tractor HDR
7 exposures blended in photoshop


Grungy Hideout
9 exposures blended in photoshop

Now, I've got another image in my head. Does anybody have an aqua-blue '63 Corvette convertible they want to let me borrow?
Making pictures (other than portraits) is something complete new for me. I am loving this! I just wish I had that Canon 17-40L. There were quite a few images that were ruined because they met at the intersection of my beginner skills and low end equipment.  Too much weird ghosting and flares and I really needed the backlighting.  The kit lens has run up against the wall, so if you have a spare 17-40L laying around........

Comments

  1. We don't have a 17-40L, but we'll be sure to bring all our lenses when we come for Christmas so you can play with them.
    The 100mm Macro will blow your mind. It's so awesome.
    As is the above picture. The colors are crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. That comment and this one were actually from Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should study more!!! When I come to you for drugs, I need you to be sharp! Sure the pictures are good, but really I think your camera is sucking your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This HDR stuff is new to me. Just when I had convinced myself that Photoshop is a black hole for time that yields only marginal results, you show me that it may be a black hole for time that yields impressive results. The saturation on that tractor is enough to give me a headache. But it's really a great shot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CPAC Soccer Game

Choosing where to live.

EIGHT