THIRTEEN

Today I am playing around with black and white conversions. The mountain scene was taken in Glacier by Tim or Rohan. I'm still up in the air about NIK Silver Efex Pro. It is a lot of moola for doing what I could do anyway in photoshop. However, since they let you download a complete working demo for free, you might as well give it a try. I guess when I don't have as much time as I do right now, the time savings would be worth the cash.  

Mountain and Clouds in Glacier National Park



I did a nice black and white conversion of a macro shot of an orchid, but for some reason blogger will not let me upload it. I have used up all my free Flickr space for the month, so I have to upload directly to blogger from my computer. Slow and crappy.


Kathryn at Lolo Pass After a Double Hand Amputation
IMG_4423_2



Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Smiling is my favorite. This is my new favorite. 
The pictures I posted on Flicker of the family were taken with the Canon 100mm Macro. This is not the IS version, but what is the point on a lens that will be on a tripod 90% of the time. It does make an awesome portrait lens and I see no reason not to use this for people photography. I love the way the background melts into blobs of color. When used on the Rebel this is the same as a 160mm. That is a great lens for portraiture. (BTW, I love my Rebel. It is light, powerful, and 3.7 fps is plenty for me)

I will be playing with Canon 100 Macro lens a lot for the next couple days.  -5 F for highs with 30 MPH winds will keep a person inside. Plus, it is snowing like crazy, and my photo gear is not weather sealed so it can't play outside (I wonder what I'm going to do when I go to Big Sky with Jack next week). This lens is so cool, I can't believe I lived for years of photography without a Macro lens. I also can't believe I've had this for a couple months and haven't tried it out more. I've just been shooting wide with the kit lens. I wanted to do the photos of my friend's family with this lens, but I couldn't get back far enough without stepping in a stream, plus my flash sync cord was only 15 ft. long. 

Since it has been snowing so much, I've been watching ski movies. Today, I was watching one that features a tribute to Shane McConkey. He says something that I get a lot more today than I did 5 years ago. 

"I get up every day and I am stoked to go to work. That does not suck."

Just 18 months and I'll be saying the same thing. I'd say it now, but school doesn't pay quite enough.

Blu-ray in Deep
Worth the 30 bucks to get in BluRay

MSP ski movies are awesome. They are so much better than Warren Miller. It seemed to me that a bunch of (incredibly talented) kids were flying around in helicopters and jumping off stuff with cameras in their hands. Then I found out I was right.


Look for Macro shots soon!



Comments

  1. I love the Macro 100mm too. It is an amazing lens and though it is not the most used lens, I always tell people they need a wide lens, portrait lens, zoom lens with IS and a good Macro. With those you can do most anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great lens. Great bokeh. What are you using for a flash setup?

    I took the mountain with clouds shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, just used on camera flash dialed down a stop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CPAC Soccer Game

Choosing where to live.

NINE